On Morning Becomes Eclectic on KCRW, an NPR member station in Santa Monica, California, last week, the infamous Preservation Hall Jazz Band came out to talk about their latest Cuban-inspired album, So It Is, and perform material for the intimate crowd gathered at Apogee Studio—formerly the private recording studio for the iconic producer and mixer Bob Clearwater. As an Apogee Session, Preservation Hall Jazz Band performed to a small audience of less than 200 people within the recording studio, treating them to tastes of their new album along with spirited renditions of their older numbers that come straight out of the heart of New Orleans.Preservation Hall Jazz Band And Jon Batiste Team Up For Joyful New Orleans Performance [Photos]After a little under an hour of live performances, including of songs “La Malanga,” “Convergence,” and “Santiago,” host of the show Garth Trinidad takes over and leads members of the band in a question-and-answer session, which features a lot of information about the band’s recent time in Cuba and its influence on both the individual members of the renowned group and on the sound of their latest album, So It Is, which was announced earlier in the year in February and formally released toward the end of April.Preservation Hall Jazz Band Announces New Album, Shares First Track [Listen]The episode was aired on public radio earlier in the week, while the full video of performance was recently released on KCRW’s website. You can watch the full hour-long performance here, or watch selected clips from their performance below, courtesy of NPR Music.“La Malanga”“Convergence”“Santiago”
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Sunday that a flood-prone section of Nassau Expressway in the Five Towns will be rehabilitated sooner than expected and that the state would pour $130 million into the project.Nassau Expressway, also known as Route 878, runs from western Nassau County into Queens, carries 56,000 vehicles daily, and is a designated evacuation route for more than 400,000 people.The plan, which was borne out of post-Superstorm Sandy NY Rising discussions, calls for the beleaguered one-mile stretch to be elevated to mitigate flooding while improving upon existing drainage. Cuomo said the project would be fast-tracked to begin in 2019 as opposed to its original starting date of 2025.The governor was critical of past repairs, which he said were done “piecemeal,” and noted that the previous timeline was inadequate.“The problem is that I may be dead by 2025,” Cuomo said during an appearance at the Five Towns Community Center in Lawrence on Sunday. “That’s a long time from now, and who wants to wait and put up with it until 2025?”Cuomo, who is fond of recalling his own experiences while highlighting the need for new projects, painted a nightmarish portrait of past trips along the parkway.“I lived in Hollis, Queens. I had a good friend for many years who lived in Inwood, so I would come down the Cross Island Parkway, come across Brookville Boulevard, which was an undertaking in and of itself,” Cuomo said. “That is like going over the mountains, when you go over Brookville Boulevard. You dodge the potholes and you’re going through a whole marsh area, you wait for a boat to float past as you go through Brookville Boulevard, and then you’d run the floods. It was like a road test for a vehicle, that’s what it was.”“Did you have the shocks to handle Brookville Boulevard, and then did you have the ground clearance to make it through the water on Burnside?” he continued. “So this is a situation that has gone on for way too long.”State Sen. Todd Kaminsky (D-Long Beach) in a statement said the infusion of cash will “protect a vital piece of infrastructure—and the New Yorkers who rely on it—for decades to come.”Cuomo’s appearance also put him in the same room with indicted Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano, who in October pleaded not guilty to federal bribery charges.The governor made light of the fact that the pair were in the same room together.“Normally when I’m with the County Executive, we’re in some kind of snowstorm, hurricane, Mother Nature wrath, never-happened-before-but-now-it’s-going-to-happen-to-us situation,” he said. “So to be with Ed when the sun is shining and it’s not raining is really nice and unusual. We are talking about flooding so it’s basically where we’ve been, but let’s give the County Executive a round of applause.”(Photo credit: New York Governor’s Office)
Today, in the municipality of Preko on the island of Ugljan, the 18th session of the Island Council was held, at which the Ministry of Regional Development and European Union Funds presented a draft proposal for a new Law on Islands. By the way, the Island Council is an advisory body to the Minister of Regional Development and EU Funds whose task is to create advice, opinions and proposals in the process of adopting acts concerning the implementation of measures and activities related to the overall sustainable development of the island.At the beginning of the session, Assistant Huzak presented the Draft Report on the Impact of the Implementation of the Islands Act in 2016 and stressed the importance of investing in the island’s sustainable development and supporting island self-sufficiency by redefining the strategic commitment to islands and developing new instruments. State Secretary at the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure Maja Markovčić Kostelac commented on the most important components of investments in 2016, namely transport connections and infrastructure.As part of the second item on the agenda, Minister Žalac presented to the members the text of the Draft Proposal of the new Law on Islands and announced, among other things, a new approach to defining island development and strategic planning for sustainable island development in accordance with the concept of “smart islands”. Parliament on the special situation of the island. In addition, the new Act will extend the use of the Island Card, which would, in addition to the existing measure of preferential transport in maritime coastal liner shipping, enable the inclusion of all other measures related to the island population, such as subsidizing water supply, public island road transport and small economy.Minister Žalac emphasized that in parallel with the development of the new development index, the Ministry is introducing a separate development index that will refer to the islands “island development index”, precisely because of the special situation of Croatian islands, and added: “Since according to the existing development index, many local governments on the islands are not able to apply for projects for co-financing with EU funds, the Island Development Index, including additional development indicators, will show a more realistic level of development, which will open many new opportunities for financing sustainable projects. development. “At the end of the session, the business plan of the Administration for Islands in 2018 was presented. The mentioned Administration, which was established in the Ministry of Regional Development and European Union Funds by the Government Decision on May 4, 2017, according to projections for next year, will make about 140 million kuna available to islanders from the state budget through a number of measures such as financing small capital projects. local self-government unit, water supply of the island, encouragement of the island’s public road transport, encouragement of the island economy as well as the promotion of the traditional economy through the Project “Croatian island product” and support to island associations.The key task of the Island Administration in the coming years will be to strengthen cooperation with the Managing Authorities of the Operational Programs of the European Structural and Investment Funds for the purpose of efficient use of available EU funds for projects on Croatian islands.Awarded label of origin and quality for 141 island productsFor 11 years in a row, the Croatian Island Product (HOP) project has been encouraging island producers to produce original and quality island products that are the result of the island’s tradition, research and development, innovation and invention, thus making their quality measurable. The project is focused on sustainable island development with the aim of reducing island depopulation and encouraging and reaffirming traditional and innovative island production and includes 279 island producers from 24 Croatian islands and the Peljesac peninsula and thus includes 880 products and production lines. HOP-labeled products contribute to the promotion of the identity of Croatian islands and Croatia as top tourist, gastronomic and ecological destinations around the world, but also on the domestic market. Minister Žalac addressed the audience and emphasized: “Precisely because the HOP project is fully rounded and elaborated to the smallest detail and works excellently, it is possible to apply it in other Croatian regions. Slavonia, which has been neglected for many years, will also have the opportunity to brand its indigenous products, following the example of you, the islanders.”She added that she hopes that soon each part of the Republic of Croatia will have its own label of tradition and quality and will be recognized throughout the world. Prior to the award of the HOP label, Minister Žalac in the municipality of Preko officially opened the project of sustainable development of the Municipality called “Adventure Island”, which the Ministry co-financed in the amount of 1.130.000,00 kuna and Sister. The Minister emphasized the importance of this project in order to improve and encourage the development of the local community in the municipality of Preko, because investing in infrastructure opens the possibility of extending the tourist season, branding the island of Ugljan as a destination for sports, recreation and cultural tourism. to return to the island after finishing school.
For the 22nd time, the publication Istra Gourmet was published, one of the most sought after and most popular tourist promotional materials in Istria and, as one of the most respected national gastronomic critics claims, ‘the most reliable printed restaurant guide in Croatia’, published by the Istria County Tourist Board.The guide to the gourmet offer of the Peninsula brings detailed information about the richness of the eno-gastronomic offer, united through the concept of a unique edition, and in addition to an overview of the most important Istrian gastronomic products, contains an exhaustive and precise list of restaurants and taverns.This year, the line under the number one hundred was underlined. Above the line is, therefore, a hundred of the best-placed Istrian restaurants, taverns and agritourism households worth visiting and tasting their specialties. Their cumulative scores for food (offer, quality of input ingredients, cooking, presentation and taste), drinks (offering, holding and storing wine, the art of recommendation and serving), environment (exterior and interior appearance, equipment, cleanliness and atmosphere) and service (welcoming and saying goodbye, staff expertise), in this guide, are turned into one, two or three forks, when it comes to restaurants, or into one, two or three spoons, when it comes to taverns and agritourism households.In addition to the restaurant offer, the guide also includes a selection of Istrian wineries and producers of extra virgin olive oils, as well as a list of beekeepers / honey producers who have a tasting room and can receive guests. From this year, in addition to the previous ones (Degrassi, Kabola, Kozlović, Matošević and Meneghetti), winemakers Coronica from Umag and Trapan from Pula have joined the club of excellent wineries.Also this year, on the last pages of the guide, there is a list of the most important gourmet events in Istria for the period January-May and September-December, ie in the pre- and post-season period, while Michelin stars, Michelin plates, Halal-certified restaurants and Pet- friendly facilities. As every year so far, the guide was published in a unified Croatian, Italian, German and English.In this way, Istra Gourmet combines several projects aimed at promoting indigenous Istrian cuisine and excellent delicacies, through the selection of the best restaurants in Istria, a project within wine tourism and olive oil tourism, and an additional aspect is the promotion of typical local products, especially honey, cheese and prosciutto.The guide is printed in a circulation of 30.000 copies, and can be found at the info points of tourist boards in Istria or downloaded in pdf format: Istria Gourmet 2018-19
On Monday, protests sweeping the United States over the death of George Floyd reverberated on the other side of the globe when thousands marched in solidarity on the streets of New Zealand. The rallies were peaceful in contrast to the days of violent protests in the US after Floyd, an African-American, died after being handcuffed and as a white police officer, who has since been charged with murder, knelt on his neck. In Auckland, about 2,000 people marched to the US Consulate chanting “no justice no peace” and “black lives matter”. Another 500 gathered in Christchurch, and a large crowd was expected to maintain a candlelit vigil outside the parliament buildings in Wellington. Nigerian-New Zealand musician, Mazbou Q, who organised the protest, said the gatherings were not just about the death of Floyd. Topics : Iran’s foreign ministry Monday called on the US to “stop violence” against its own people following protests across the country over the death of black American man George Floyd.”To the American people: the world has heard your outcry over the state of oppression. The world is standing with you,” spokesman Abbas Mousavi said at a news conference in Tehran.”And to the American officials and police: stop violence against your people and let them breathe,” he told reporters in English.
Arsenal’s youngsters look bright (Picture: Getty Images)Kieran Tierney has also impressed since making the switch from Celtic last year, but, Robson admitted Saka is the young Arsenal star that has shone the brightest.‘The one that’s impressed me most of the young players is Saka,’ the ex-Gunner told ESPN.‘I think he’s versatile in where he can play, which is not always a bonus, because he gets moved from one place to another, we’ve seen him play at left-wing back, wide right. ‘I would say Tierney looks to be a very good player, certainly going forward, he’s got lots of energy, I think he’s still got to work on the defensive side of the game, which we talk about a lot with full-backs these days. More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘Is Nketiah going to be a top class player? Maybe not. ‘Martinelli is a player I think when I’ve seen him play he looks as though he’s got an eye for goal, he’s got plenty of pace, he works hard, but is he a centre-forward or a left-winger? That’s what they’ve got to find out with Mikel Arteta. ‘But I would say Saka looks the one player at the moment that can stay in the side and be better and better.’MORE: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s father drops Arsenal exit hintMORE: Arsenal winger Nicolas Pepe is one of the transfer flops of the season, says Jermaine JenasFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and InstagramFor more stories like this, check our sport page Comment Metro Sport ReporterMonday 27 Jul 2020 7:15 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.1kShares Saka has enjoyed a barnstorming season (Picture: Getty Images)Former Arsenal midfielder Stewart Robson has named Bukayo Saka above the likes of Gabriel Martinelli and Eddie Nketiah as the Gunners’ most impressive youngster.The 18-year-old has enjoyed a remarkable breakthrough season in which he has nailed down his placed in the first team and proved his ability to excel in multiple positions.Saka, who is naturally a left-sided winger, was asked to fill in at left-back after injuries to Kieran Tierney and Sead Kolainac, and since the restart has also featured in central midfield and on the right-wing.The England youth international has showcased his excellent delivery from crosses and creative spark, registering 11 assists across all competitions.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTIn what has been a disappointing season for the Gunners, finishing outside of the top six for the first time in 25 years, their young players have been a shining light.19-year-old Martinelli – who signed from Brazilian side Ituano last summer for £6 million – was also making a name for himself after scoring 10 goals in his first 26 games, however, the forward has not featured since the restart after a knee injury picked up in training ruled him out for the season. Advertisement Advertisement Stewart Robson hails Bukayo Saka as Arsenal youngster he has been most impressed with
Press Association Christian Eriksen wanted to “be part of” Andre Villas-Boas’ Tottenham project and so swapped Ajax for the London club on Friday night. The Denmark midfielder capped a frantic day at White Hart Lane when he became the club’s third signing in 24 hours, joining Vlad Chiriches and Erik Lamela. Eriksen has moved for an undisclosed fee and, even though his arrival gives another nod towards Gareth Bale’s impending departure to Real Madrid, a switch to Tottenham’s new-look squad was much to his delight. “Everyone has followed the development of Spurs and it’s something I want to be part of,” he said. The 21-year-old has already represented his national team on 37 occasions, scoring four goals, and was a key player for Ajax, having moved there from Odense in 2008. He made 161 appearances and helped the Amsterdam side win three successive Eredivisie titles from 2011, and signs for a Tottenham side that bolstered their ranks immeasurably on Friday. Chiriches became the club’s fifth summer purchase on Friday morning when he completed his £8.5million move from Steaua Bucharest and four hours later, Tottenham confirmed that they had signed 21-year-old Lamela for fee thought to be around £25.8million.