To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
After opening on Tuesday, Jakarta’s makeshift emergency hospital for COVID-19 has so far received 208 patients, according to the hospital head.The hospital, which has the capacity to treat 3,000 people, utilizes four out 10 towers of the Kemayoran athletes village in Central Jakarta. Two towers are currently being used to treat patients.Jakarta Military commander and hospital head Maj. Gen. Eko Margiyono said the hospital would not accept patients younger than 15 years old. The facility also prioritizes COVID-19 patients, elderly suspects and suspects with mild to moderate breathing problems.However, he said patients with severe and worsening symptoms would be referred to another hospital. Read also: COVID-19: Ministry studies plan to use hotels as accommodation for medical staff“There were some patients who came here and [we] referred [them] to other referral hospitals later because [their initial] examinations showed severe symptoms,” Eko said at a press conference on Thursday.“Patients who have mild symptoms but carry other complications would also be referred to other hospitals because the [makeshift] hospital is not designed to handle other diseases,” Eko added.He explained that patients who wanted to be examined at the hospital could come and register themselves. Alternatively, patients who cannot go to the hospital by themselves can also call the COVID-19 hotline on 199, where they can request a transfer service to the hospital.“The other way is by referral. Private hospitals that are no longer able to accommodate patients can refer some of them to our hospital, but we hope that there is an initial examination so that when we receive the patients, we already have preliminary data,” Eko said.Read also: COVID-19: Ministry to develop temporary hospitals in several regionsAs of Wednesday, Indonesia had recorded 790 cases of COVID-19 with 58 fatalities and 31 recoveries. Jakarta has the large majority of the cases with 463, including 31 in the region who have died and 23 who have recovered.The makeshift hospital uses the former athletes village, which was used during the 2018 Asian Games.The makeshift facility is aimed at increasing the capital’s healthcare capability, as Jakarta’s regional leaders communication forum (Frokompimda DKI Jakarta) estimated that, in a worst-case scenario, as many as 8000 people in the capital city would be infected by the coronavirus.Since it was opened on Tuesday, patients from Greater Jakarta have been lining up for examination at the makeshift COVID-19 hospital, but Eko said the hospital even received patients from outside the region. “The hospital was originally designed to accommodate patients in Greater Jakarta, but in reality, on the first day, there were patients who came from Surabaya and Semarang. But still, we accepted them,” he added. (mfp)Topics :
But the state’s top health official voiced optimism that a partial lockdown of five million people, now in its third week, was working.Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said modeling showed “today should be the peak” even if the number of new cases continues to fluctuate and new daily records could yet be set.The number of daily new cases has passed the March peak of 459 at least three times in the last week, according to data compiled by AFP.Sutton indicated any future increase would likely be driven by closely monitored outbreaks at care facilities for the elderly. Australia on Monday posted its highest number of new coronavirus cases since the pandemic began, even as officials expressed hope outbreaks in locked-down Melbourne may have peaked.A day after Australia reported its highest daily death toll, authorities confirmed at least 549 new COVID-19 infections -— almost entirely driven by an outbreak in the southeastern state of Victoria.Authorities admitted a second wave of clusters in Melbourne was taking longer to suppress than hoped. Topics : Australia had dodged the worst ravages of the pandemic, logging around 15,000 cases in total — fewer than many hard-hit countries see in one day.But the second outbreak is still proving deadly, with the nation’s death toll rising to 161 on Monday.”The outbreaks are really volatile,” Sutton said pointing to some virulent clusters. “In aged care settings the numbers can increase very significantly in a very short period of time.”Officials around the country are eyeing the situation in Victoria nervously, as neighboring New South Wales monitors several clusters sparked by a Melbourne traveller to Sydney earlier this month.”Whilst we are holding the line … we only have to tragically look at what is happening in Victoria to realize that could be us in a few weeks,” New South Wales premier Gladys Berejiklian said.Almost all of New South Wales’ cases have been traced to a specific source or cluster, making management much easier.Nevertheless the chief minister of the Northern Territory, which like most of Australia has effectively suppressed the virus, delayed plans to open travel with Sydney until at least late August.”In recent weeks I think the entire nation got a reality check, any hopes that we’d be through this crisis in a few short months have been dashed,” Michael Gunner told media in Darwin.
NZ Herald 10 January 2013The MP behind a law change to legalise gay marriage has slammed the “dishonest” argument by opponents that her bill will pave the way to polygamous relationships.Labour Party MP Louisa Wall said she was frustrated by the more extreme arguments against her bill, which had prompted her to release research showing that no country had legalised polygamous relationships after legalising gay marriage.Ms Wall said the argument that allowing same-sex marriage would be a stepping stone to multiple partners was undermining an otherwise civilised and principled debate.“Everyone has built an opposition based on a belief or a value … but for some to purposefully mislead not only the public, but to also scaremonger, is fundamentally dishonest,” she said.The concern about creating a “slippery slope” to polygamy was raised at the first reading of the bill by National MP for Wairarapa John Hayes, and has been echoed by submitters to the select committee considering the legislation, in particular the lobby group Family First.Family First founder Bob McCoskrie said he believed legalising polygamy was “on the long-term agenda”.“If you say that any adults who love each other should not be discriminated against then why limit it to sexuality, why not numbers?”http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10858223
President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi embarks on Saturday on an Asian tour that will take him to Singapore, China and Indonesia. The tour comes shortly after the president wrapped up his visit to Russia on Thursday.During his seven-day Asian tour, President Sisi will hold meetings with the leaders of the three countries to bolster relations and open new vistas for cooperation especially in the economic domain.On the first leg of his tour, President Sisi will visit Singapore upon an official invitation from Singaporean President Tony Tan. The visit is the first of its kind by an Egyptian president in the history of the two countries.During his stop in China, the president will attend celebrations of the 70th anniversary of China’s victory in World War II. The visit comes upon an official invitation from Chinese President Xi Jinping.President Sisi is expected to hold a series of meetings with senior Chinese officials to put into effect the agreements which have been signed between the two sides during Sisi’s visit to China last year.The president will wrap up his Asian tour by visiting Indonesia to foster bilateral relations. The visit is the first by an Egyptian president since 1983. It would be an opportunity to promote Indonesian investments in the Suez Canal Axis Development Project.
BACOLOD City – A P5,000 fine or jail time of six months will await anyone in this city found to have discriminated against health workers on the frontline of fighting coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The Sangguniang Panlungsod has approved on third and final reading an ordinance prohibiting acts that cause stigma, disgrace, shame, humiliation or discrimination against COVID-19 health workers. Mayor Evelio Leonardia may be able to sign the ordinance this week and issue an executive order for its implementation. Councilor Cindy Rojas, author of the ordinance, said “with the emergence and continued spread of COVID-19, public stigma formed not only against persons who have contracted the said disease but also against health workers taking care of them and others working on the frontlines.” “There is an urgent need to combat this stigmatization and protect frontline workers, especially health workers, from all forms of discrimination, harassment and abuse,” she stressed. Such discrimination that the ordinance is referring such as prohibiting frontline workers from entering an establishment ; refusal to provide services or goods to frontline workers; evicting or forcing the frontline workers to leave , temporarily or preventing from entering on his or her apartment or dormitory; and others./PN
Mr. Jack Lee Chase, age 62, of Fairview, Indiana, entered this life on April 22, 1954, in Milan, Indiana, the loving son of, Darrel Edwin and Betty Jean (Scott) Chase. He was raised in Switzerland County where he was a 1972 graduate of the Switzerland County High School. Jack was united in marriage to Jill Lynn Scudder on December 26, 1971, by Rev. Velma Manuel at the East Enterprise Wesleyan Parsonage in East Enterprise, Indiana. This happy union was blessed with four daughters: Tina, Cassandra, Crystal and Cayla. Jack and Jill shared nearly 45 loving years of marriage together until his death. Jack was formerly employed for the US Shoe Factory, Randall’s Textron and Bears Furniture Store in Vevay, Indiana. He was employed as a milkman for Thompson Dairy in Dillsboro, Indiana. He was currently employed as a truck driver for Trade & Industry Supply in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, for the past 36 years, until his health no longer permitted. Jack will be remembered for his love of NASCAR racing, riding his motorcycle, playing euchre, baseball, softball and croquet. But most of all, Jack enjoyed spending time with his family, especially his loving daughters and his grandchildren. Jack will be dearly missed by his family, friends and his community. Jack passed away at 5:30 am, Monday, July 11, 2016, at his residence in Fairview, Indiana.Jack will be dearly missed by his loving and devoted wife of nearly 45 years: Jill Lynn (Scudder) Chase of Fairview, IN; his daughters: Christina Lynn “Tina” (Chase) Girton and her husband: Jerry of Vevay, IN, Cassandra Rachelle Chase of Pleasant, IN, Crystal Joy (Chase) Richmer and her husband: Andy of Madison, IN and Cayla Lee (Chase) Rogers and her husband: Ben of Bennington, IN; his grandchildren: Christopher David Girton, Samuel Christian Girton, Carson Thomas Byrd, Caleb Jasper Byrd and soon to arrive baby Rogers and baby Richmer; his loving parents: Darrel Edwin and Betty Jean (Scott) Chase of Fairview, INHe was preceded in death by his paternal grandparents: Hershel and Ethel Chase; his maternal grandmother: Clara White; his brother: Jerry Dale Chase, died February 24, 1968 and his mother-in-law: Rachel (Scudder) Luke.Funeral services will be conducted Saturday, July 16, 2016, at 11:00 am, by Pastor KC Banta at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043. Interment will follow in the Vevay Cemetery, Vevay, Indiana.Friends may call 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Friday, July 15, 2016, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043.Memorial contributions may be made to Charity of the Donor’s Choice. Cards are available at the funeral home.
Osgood, In. — The St. Peter’s United Church of Christ Ladies Aid Spaghetti Dinner will be Thursday, May 16 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the corner of County Road 700 N & Finks Road. The free-will offering menu includes regular and gluten free pasta, sauce with beef ot without, garlic bread, salad and many desserts.
Franklin County, IN—Neysa Raible, the Franklin County Clerk would like to remind residents in Franklin County that in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and in an effort to be proactive, voters, including those that are elderly, sick, individuals with compromised immune systems, or anyone, can request an absentee ballot by mail to vote in the upcoming primary. They can be requested by calling the office at 765.647.3224 or you can download an application online by clicking here. The deadline to request an absentee ballot is April 23, 2020 to vote in the May 5 Primary.
RelatedPosts COVID-19: 87 stranded Nigerians arrive from Sudan Sudan defence minister dies during peace talks U23 AFCON: Olympic Eagles gun for Elephants National Under 23 team, otherwise known as the Olympic Eagles, massacred their Sudanese counterparts 5-1 on aggregate to qualify for the U23 Africa Cup of Nations slated Egypt later this year. The Imama Amakpabo tutored junior Eagles came into the encounter on the back of a one nil loss to the Sudanese in the first leg. Nigeria dominated the match from the blast of the whistle, opening the scoring on the eighth minute with a thumping header by Taiwo Awoniyi. Ndifreke Effiong doubled the tally on the 24th, also with a header, before completing his brace in the stoppage time of the first 45 minutes by slotting home from close range after a flowing move from the Eagles. The fourth and fifth goals came in quick succession. Substitute, Faleye Sunday got on the score sheet in the 66th minute with a header. Faleye ended up providing the assist for the fifth goal scored by Sanusi Ibrahim in the 68th minute.Tags: Imama AmakpaboOlympic EaglesSudan