New Delhi: Australian pacer Mitchell Johnson, who had retired from the Big Bash League (BBL) earlier in 2018, has announced to call it quits from all forms of cricket including any other domestic T20 leagues.“It’s over. I’ve bowled my final ball. Taken my final wicket. Today I announce my retirement from all forms of cricket,” Johnson wrote in Perth Now.The 36-year old Johnson played his last match for Australia in 2015 against New Zealand in Perth.The Aussie veteran has picked up 313 wickets in 73 Tests, 239 wickets in 153 ODIs and 38 in 30 T20Is.ALSO READ: Asian Games 2018 Day 1, LIVE Score, updates, results“My competitive urge hasn’t left me and hopefully that’s something I can use to channel into a coaching or mentoring role in the future,” Johnson wrote.One of the most fearsome bowlers of recent years, Johnson continued to play T20 domestic leagues like BBL and IPL but now has hanged his boots.“I had hoped to continue playing in various Twenty20 competitions around the world until perhaps the middle of next year. But the fact is my body is starting to shut down,” Johnson added.ALSO READ: Cricketers wear black armbands as mark of respect to Vajpayee, Wadekar“When I sat down with new Perth Scorchers coach Adam Voges recently to discuss my future, he was interested in me playing on again this summer. I did believe I could still be helpful around the playing group with my experience. But I think mentally I’m done as well,” he wrote in an article titled ‘Why I’m retiring from all levels of cricket,’ the former Perth Scorchers’ pacer said. “If I can’t play at 100 per cent then I can’t give my best to the team. And for me it’s always been about the team,” he added.However, Johnson didn’t completely rule out coaching but is still confused whether it will work out for him or not.As for the next chapter in his life, Johnson didn’t rule out coaching, but wasn’t sure whether it will work out well or not.“My competitive urge hasn’t left me and hopefully that’s something I can use to channel into a coaching or mentoring role in the future. I’m a believer in sticking to your strengths and cricket is my strength,” he said. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
ALBANY — Borg van der Velde smacked her shin guards six times. Three times before the opening whistle and three after. The wood of her stick against the padding echoed through Alumni Turf as she cheered on her teammates.Those six hits were the most action van der Velde experienced in Syracuse’s program-record seventh-consecutive shutout. The No. 5 Orange (7-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) capped its road trip with a 2-0 victory over No. 21 Albany (2-3) Sunday afternoon. The win broke the previous Syracuse record of six shutouts during the 1997 season.“It means nothing,” Syracuse head coach Ange Bradley said. “I would like to be the second women’s team to win a national championship.”SU’s defense struck early, forcing turnovers and controlling possession in its half of the field. Albany struggled to convert passes as midfielders Laura Hurff and Erin Gillingham disrupted passing lanes on the outside and prevented opposing midfielders from threading the ball inside.“Our focus is our five-meter hash,” Hurff said. “Our goal is to protect (that) at all costs.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textRoos Weers scored less than two minutes in on a penalty corner to give SU a 1-0 lead. As the game progressed, Albany began to gain its composure. The Great Danes defense pressured the Orange’s offense and forced multiple turnovers. On offense, SU’s method is to “break the spine.” The team wants to force the ball to the middle of the field rather than trying to advance along the sidelines. Against Albany, the Orange defense did the exact opposite. It acted as a shield around the spine.Albany finished with just one shot the entire game. The Great Danes attempted its lone penalty corner in the 23rd minute. Kelsey Bridell inserted the ball for Albany, but Gillingham collapsed immediately, stealing the ball and preventing a shot.“That’s our house,” Hurff said. “That’s our shell. And we’re going to do whatever we can to protect it.”After Weers added another goal on a penalty corner, Albany made one final push in the closing minutes. Bridell wove between the SU backs on the right side of the corner, before crossing the ball through the arc. But van der Velde dove in the way to clear the ball.Besides her one dive, van der Velde spent most of her day directing Syracuse’s backs and midfielders, as has been her role throughout the seven shutouts. The Orange remains the only team in the country that hasn’t conceded a goal.“It’s a nice start,” Bradley said. “But it’s where you finish.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on September 10, 2017 at 4:22 pm Contact Matt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ghana midfielder Sulley Muniru is set to relaunch his unstable career at Dinamo Minsk in the Belarus Premier League.The 26-year-old younger brother of ex-Inter and AC Milan star Muntari has seen his last three contracts – with Bulgaria’s Steua Bucharesti, CD Tondela (Portugal) and Turkish Super Lig side Yeni Malatyaspor – terminated midway.Muniru had signed a two-year contract with Malatyapsor late August last year only for the club to announce a mutual termination a little over four months later (January 2019). He made only five appearances for the side.Dinamo Minsk announced their capture of the former Liberty Professionals midfielder Wednesday night but failed to include the duration of the deal.Sulley Muniru faced his new club twice while featuring for former Romanian side CFR Cluj in the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League.–Source: Footy-ghana.com