The County Education Officer in Nimba County Wleh Sillah prevented scores of journalists from interviewing Education Minister George Werner as he ended his weeklong tour in the Ganta.Mr. Sillah threatened to call on officers of the Liberia National Police to keep journalists away from Minister Werner, who did not do anything much to help the situation.“Don’t go near the Minister, but if you force it, I will order police to get you all from here,” he threatened.Minister Werner and his entourage entered Nimba County from the southeast of the country, where he had been touring several schools before arriving in Ganta to also visit the Child Friendly School Campus.Journalists managed to speak with Minister Werner earlier but he asked them to meet him at his rest stop, at which time the several expatriates traveling along with him would have had the chance to talk to the media.Arriving along with the Minister’s convoy, excited journalists made their way to his location when CEO Sillah decided to show to the journalists who really should have access to Minister Werner. The journalists included those of the Daily Observer, Inquirer, ELBC and several others.“I don’t want to speak with any journalist on my tour before the Legislators ask me questions,” Minister Werner had told the reporters at the Child Friendly School Campus, contrary to his earlier promise to allow them to interview him on the results of his tour so far.Observers interviewed told journalists that there are many issues that affect education in Nimba County since the new education policy which led to the early closure of schools and they wanted to hear from what Minister Werner would say about it.CEO Sillah had been at loggerhead with owners of private and mission schools in Nimba County for what they described as his reckless statements many of which he was compelled retract with some apologies.The recent distribution of school grants in Nimba County was marked by reports of alleged fraud in which certain percentage was deducted from each school which could not be verified.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Two Police Officers have now been taken into custody after they allegedly murdered a Brazilian miner in Puruni, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) and attempted to get rid of the body on Saturday.Estevão Marquês Costa, the now dead manThe Brazilian miner’s name was given as 37-year-old Estevão Marquês Costa.Based on reports received, the two officers – a Subordinate and a Constable – who are stationed at the Kurupung Police Station, abandoned their post on Friday.Guyana Times understands that the men reportedly left on an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) to patrol the area but for some reason left their jurisdiction and via a boat went to a landing in Puruni.Upon their arrival there, the Police Constable reportedly exited the boat and went to a shop a short distance from the landing while his subordinating officer reportedly waited in the boat.However, soon after, the man heard a loud explosion and without hesitation, he made his way in the direction of the sound. He came into contact with the Constable who related that the miner discharged a round at him and in retaliation, he returned fire.Nevertheless, the Police stated that two other officers who were in the area investigating another matter turned up at the scene and reportedly took possession of the .30 carbine rifle which was used by the Constable.The Divisional Commander was contacted and upon orders that two police ranks were arrested and placed in custody. A team of Officers have since been dispatched to Puruni to further investigate the matter.On the other hand, an eyewitness told a different story. It was reported that the two Police ranks went to raid a mining camp belonging to the now dead man’s mother. Upon seeing the Police, Costa who was an undocumented miner attempted to escape and it was at this time, the Constable cocked his gun and fired two shots hitting Costa to his head.After shooting the man, the two Police ranks reportedly panicked and made efforts to get rid of the body. The eyewitness reportedly told detectives that the two Police ranks attempted to burn the man’s body but the other miners created a scene.All the while the mother held onto her son’s body. The ranks eventually relieved the woman of the deceased after which they wrapped it and placed it in the boat they arrived in at the location.It was reported in a section of the media that the Police dumped the man’s body on a beach on their way to Bartica.