Males in a similarly described green car robbed teenagers walking home from school an hour earlier near Bailey Street and Gregory Avenue, said Zuhlke. Whittier Police Department detectives were informed that one suspect lived in Anaheim, and they were investigating the case along with Anaheim Police Department, said Zuhlke. A suspect was arrested in Anaheim on Feb. 10, and police searched a hotel room there where he was staying. Police also searched a home in South Whittier that day and arrested two other suspects in the robberies, said Zuhlke. They recovered iPods and other property at both locations, he said. Zuhlke did not release the names of the suspects, stating that they are all juveniles. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “It was unusual,” said Zuhlke. “But what was of more concern was that they were targeting kids walking home from school. They brandished a shotgun and knife.” Whittier Union High School District officials sent out a recorded message to their students Friday night. “Over the past three days, students in Whittier and surrounding communities have reported they were aggressively confronted by a group of adult males as they walked home from school,” the recording stated. “We strongly encourage students to use safety precautions when walking to school, walking home, or walking around the community.” That day, two robberies occurred in Whittier, said Zuhlke. Males in a late-model, green compact car pulled up to a teenager waiting for a bus at Lambert Road and Gunn Avenue about 3:30 p.m. Friday, said Zuhlke. They grabbed his backpack, which was on the seat beside him, he said. WHITTIER – Police believe they have put a stop to a series of “drive-up” robberies targeting high school students. Three males, all under the age of 18, have been arrested and charged with robbing high school-age people wearing iPods, said Whittier Police Department spokesman Jason Zuhlke. The males are suspected of driving up to teenagers wearing iPods, and demanding their iPods and other valuables.
“We stand united in saying loud and clear that when we’ve got troops in harm’s way, we expect those troops to be fully funded,” he said. “And we’ve got commanders making tough decisions on the ground, we expect there to be no strings on our commanders. And that we expect the Congress to be wise about how they spend the people’s money.” Two Republicans, Sens. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and Gordon Smith of Oregon, joined 49 Democrats in backing the bill, which totaled $123 billion when money for Gulf Coast hurricane relief, agricultural aid and other domestic projects was added. The bill also includes the Democratic plan to raise the minimum wage by $2.15 over two years. Reid promised that negotiators would quickly begin to reconcile the new Senate measure with a version passed by the House last week and have a bill ready to be approved and sent to the president soon after the House returned from its spring break on April 16. The administration has said the military needs the money by April 15, and the White House said Thursday that the Pentagon was already having to juggle accounts, shifting money from one program to another to buy more vehicles better able to withstand mines. Dana Perino, the deputy White House spokeswoman, said, “This, again, underscores the need to get the show on the road, get the bill to the president, he will veto it, and then, we’ll take it from there.” Democrats said the president was at fault there as well, saying he took too long to send his financing request to Congress. They also dismissed Republican complaints that they were micromanaging military policy, saying that Congress had constitutional authority equal to that of the executive branch and that Democrats were forced to intercede because of Bush’s refusal to heed public demands for withdrawing forces. WASHINGTON – Issuing a stinging challenge to President Bush, the Senate on Thursday approved a spending measure that provided more than $97.5 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan but ordered troop withdrawals from Iraq to begin within 120 days and set a goal of removing most armed forces within a year. Democrats, preparing for a veto fight, immediately sought to paint the president as obstinate in the face of broad public sentiment against the war. They said he would be the one abandoning U.S. forces should he reject a final bill that lawmakers expected to produce in a few weeks. “If the president vetoes this bill, it is an asterisk in history,” said Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, after a 51-47 vote on the measure. “He sets the record for undermining the troops more than any president we have ever had.” But Bush was not wavering. He stood on the North Portico of the White House, flanked by Republican House leaders, and delivered his veto threat one more time. “It begins to return Iraq to the Iraqi people and to return our troops home,” Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., chairman of the Appropriations Committee, said about the legislation. Republicans said the measure was a colossal mistake that told insurgent forces in Iraq when U.S. troops would begin leaving. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
November 18, 2002 The Octoberworkshop graduation was held at the end of morning meeting in theLab-building. Workshop coordinator Wez Ozier is handing out a workshopcertificate to Selvam Rajamani. [Photo & text: sa] Akihito Sato isreceiving his certificate. He will continue his studies at Arcosanti asa volunteer in the Soleri Archives. Quite a few people from the Octoberworkshop have stayed on. Eli Michael as a volunteer in construction,Olivier Le Gall is sharing his time as in intern in planning andconstruction, Jordan Stettner as a volunteer in the garden, HeathWinborn as an intern in planning and construction, Karen Pettineli as avolunteer in the garden and Steven Levy as a volunteer in theMaintenance department. [Photo & text: sa]
Categories: Featured news,News,Reilly News 26Jan Rep. Reilly named vice chair of JCAR and Financial Liability Reform Committees Tags: #SB House Speaker Tom Leonard today announced state Rep. John Reilly, of Oakland Township, will serve on five House policy committees, and as vice chair of two of those committees.Reilly will vice chair the House Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) and vice chair of Financial Liability Reform.JCAR is responsible for the legislative oversight of administrative rules proposed by state agencies and on Financial Liability Reform oversees the state’s long-term financial obligations. “I am humbled by Speaker Tom Leonard’s confidence in assigning me this expansive legislative portfolio,” Rep. Reilly said. “I will immediately immerse myself in these policy areas and I look forward to working with stakeholders to craft sound policy and vote in the best interest of the people of North Oakland County.”Reilly has already reached out to local education officials to discuss legislation. After consulting with school superintendents, he co-sponsored a bill to allow all students in 11th and 12th grades to receive course credit for internships. It was the first bill he co-sponsored as a freshman lawmaker.Reilly will also serve on the committees on Energy, Regulatory Reform, and Education.“The Michigan Legislature has accomplished many great things to turn our state around over the past six years,” Reilly said. “I will work very hard to improve the quality of our schools, to make energy more affordable, and to make it easier for all Michiganders to start a business or get a job.”The Oakland County lawmaker can be reached at email@example.com and at (517) 373-1798.######
DERRY Sinn Féin Health spokesperson Councillor Patricia Logue has called for the introduction of ‘drug drop off bins’ in the city. “Drug drop off bins have been found to be very beneficial in removing these unwanted drugs from other communities.“In one instance recently a newly installed drop off bin in a Belfast shopping centre 5000 tablets were disposed of over a two week period.“Its vital that we get a number of these bins located in various parts of the city, with the all important checks and balances in place.”She added: “We also need investment to support people, in a safe environment, to discuss their dependencies, we need educational programmes to highlight the dangers of drugs and alcohol misuse. ShareTweet Councillor Logue said: “Several months ago I raised concerns about the amount of unused medication in circulation in our city. It is quite staggering that across the North unused prescriptions medicines cost the health services an estimated £18 million per year.“Since then I have spoken to many people who have said one of the biggest problems people have is the disposing of unused prescription and non prescription drugs safely and discreetly.“We know how easy it is to have an old box of medication at the back of the drawer or press, in some cases unused items from perceptions can accumulate very quickly. “Aand we need services to signpost people to in their local communities.” Logue calls for ‘drug drop off bins’ in Derry was last modified: March 6th, 2018 by John2John2 Tags: COUNCILLOR PATRICIA LOGUELogue calls for ‘drug drop off bins’ in Derryprescription drugsSinn Fein