Babita Sarjou’s murderThe estranged husband of Babita Sarjou and his accomplice are expected to be arraigned today for the woman’s murder, after her skeletal remains were discovered in the man’s Seaforth Street, Campbellville, Georgetown,Dead: Babita Sarjouyard on Sunday afternoon – six years after she went missing.Anand Narine, the estranged husband, and his accomplice, who were arrested on Saturday, allegedly confessed to the woman’s murder and later led investigators to the spot where they buried her body back in 2010.It was during the search of the identified spot that investigators came upon what appeared to be a shallow grave. Digging further, they found two bones and a short while after, Police found most of the skeletal remains. Pieces of clothing were also found in the grave.Police made the dreadful discovery some two days after taking into custody the woman’s husband and another close friend of hers, after informing her mother, Champa Seonarine that they were reopening the case.The statutory 72-hour detention period without charge expired on Monday, but Police moved to the courts and were able to secure an extension. Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum had earlier revealed that samples of the woman’s remains will be sent to neighbouring Trinidad and Tobago for DNA testing. However, the woman’s relatives were able to identify some belongings found with her remains, including her bag and clothing.Sarjou, 28, mother of a now 10-year-old son, who used to reside at Timehri Public Road, East Bank Demerara, left her desk and computer unattended at work in November 2010, never to return. Her family and the Police had since been searching for the missing woman.In early April, Seonarine, along with officials from the Caribbean American Domestic Violence Awareness (CADVA) organisation, had again petitioned for the case to be reopened. Seonarine said all she needed was some closure. The dead woman’s mother at the beginning of the investigations had voiced her belief that her daughter’s estranged husband had something to do with her disappearance.It was also reported that there were several instances of domestic violence and reports made to both the Kitty and Timehri Police Stations by Sarjou against her husband.In 2010, during the initial investigations, the Police held her husband for questioning for 72 hours and then released him.
This jewelry designer is also an architect Duterte calls himself, Go, Cayetano ‘the brightest stars’ in PH politics Fultz, who has been limited by injuries to 33 NBA games, begins training camp with “absolutely no limitations” said Jeff Weltman, Orlando’s president of basketball operations.Mo Bamba, the Magic’s first-round pick in 2018, can also be considered an addition, having missed the second half of last season with a stress fracture in his leg.With most other teams in the Eastern Conference having undergone roster changes, the Magic believe their strong finish last season was no fluke.“I can’t even think of a whole roster in the East right now,” said Ross, “but I’m confident in the way we play. I know we have a style. I know we have a way to play on defense, so I know we’re going to give ourselves a chance.”Clifford is excited about the Magic’s chances to get back to the playoffs — and make a deeper postseason run.ADVERTISEMENT DTI creates Marahuyo, a luxe Filipino fashion brand for global buyers Orlando Magic players, from left, Mo Bamba (5), Aaron Gordon (00), Jonathan Isaac and Terrence Ross (31) have some fun posing for photos during the NBA basketball team’s media day, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)ORLANDO, Florida — The Orlando Magic will open training camp Tuesday with an expectation they haven’t had in many years — to win.After making the NBA playoffs for the first time in seven years, the Magic brought back every rotation player including Nikola Vucevic and Terrence Ros after both signed four-year contracts this summer to stay in Orlando after becoming free agents.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ NCAA: San Beda dominates Letran to go 13-0 Matteo Guidicelli had saved up for Sarah G’s ring since 2014? “We were balanced the last 15 games — first in defense, 15th in offense,” Clifford said. “If you do that the whole year, you’re going to be a very good team. And in the playoffs, we came up short. So if we play well enough to get back, we have to be at a higher level.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games02:11Makabayan bloc defends protesting workers, tells Año to ‘shut up’03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games01:38‘Bato’ to be ‘most effective’ CHR head? It’s for public to decide – Gascon02:07Aquino to Filipinos: Stand up vs abuses before you suffer De Lima’s ordeal01:28Ex-President Noynoy Aquino admits contracting pneumonia00:45Aquino agrees with Drilon on SEA games ‘kaldero’ spending issue Becoming his own man LATEST STORIES “If you look at all the teams in the past that brought back the same teams, like the Spurs, they always win,” said guard D.J. Augustin. “They keep the same culture and the same chemistry. It’s going to be great for our team. If we start how we finished last year, we can do amazing things this year.”Under first-year coach Steve Clifford, the Magic won 22 of their last 31 regular-season games to finish 42-40, then lost in five games to the eventual champion Toronto Raptors.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGreatest ever?SPORTSBecoming his own manSPORTSFormer PBA import Anthony Grundy passes away at 40“Just to get a taste of the playoffs was a great feeling,” said forward Aaron Gordon. “We put together a great stretch after the All-Star break, and we knew with a couple of additions to the team, and keeping essentially the same team, we’ll have a good shot to achieve whatever we want to achieve.”A couple of players that will contribute — and who helping fuel the optimism — are forward Al-Farouq Aminu and Markelle Fultz. Aminu signed with the Magic as a free agent after four years in Portland; Fultz, the first overall pick in the 2017 draft, was acquired in a trade from Philadelphia in February. Drilon apologizes to BCDA’s Dizon over false claim on designer of P50-M ‘kaldero’ Ethel Booba on SEA Games cauldron: ‘Sulit kung corrupt ang panggatong’ Canadian vaping study details danger from ‘popcorn lung’ chemical View comments
Kolkata, Sep 28 (PTI) Kerala Blasters and Sachin Tendulkar may have parted ways but the cricket legend will always remain an intrinsic part of the club, coach David James said Friday.The Master Blaster had sold off his 20 per cent stake with the club in the build-up to the fifth season of the Indian Super League, and described that his “heart will always beat for the club”.”His name will always be linked with Kerala Blasters because this Blasters is essentially his nickname. Even down to the colours, we are wearing his choices. He will always be an intrinsic part of Kerala Blasters,” James said.Terming Tendulkar one of the most wonderful men he met, James said it’s bit of a “shame” that the cricket legend has left the club.”I’ve had conversations with him since he departed. I’ve had very good terms and wish him all the best. In some sense, of course it’s a shame because you want everything to remain the same. Evolution does take place, people will go but football club will always survive,” James told reporters on the eve of the ISL-V opener against ATK here.The former England goalkeeper, who was signed midway into the last season after Rene Meulensteen was sacked, remembers meeting him in London before signing a three-year contract.”He is one of the most wonderful men I’ve met in sport when I was asked to be the manager in London. We had a very honest conversation about principle and philosophies, human factor rather than just football,” the former Liverpool custodian said.advertisementAfter James took over last season, there were some glimpses of resurgence but it was a little too late to make the playoffs, as they ended up sixth.”I’m heavily involved in making of this squad having watched hours and hours of videos of about 100 players that we saw. It’s a long term strategy — of not just winning the ISL but building a team for the future. We have one of the youngest squads in the ISL,” he said.James served as a player-manager at Kerala Blasters in the first season of Indian Super League and helped his team reach the final.ATK boast of a five-one win-loss record against Kerala from 10 exchanges and James pointed out he was the manager when they had beaten the Kolkata franchise way back in 2014.”Strategy is not about winning every game. Bengaluru were by far were the most consistent side in the ISL last season but they did not win the title. The season isn’t decided tomorrow either.”Showing solidarity with the flood victims and families affected in the devastating Kerala floods, James said: “We are very conscious of what happened as a football club. We will be showing our thanks to individuals and groups, we are not allowed to declare what it will be here. There will be some evidence beyond people turning out for football matches.”I have loved India as a whole but being positioned in Kerala, the spirit of the state and fans is important,” he said.Kerala captain Sandesh Jhingan congratulated India Under-16 team for making the quarterfinals for the first time since 2002.Indians played out a 0-0 draw against Indonesia to seal their berth in the last-eight stage.With the top four teams in this tournament qualifying directly for the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup — to be held in Peru, India is a step away from sealing its spot.Jhingan also said that ISL has helped him grow as a player as he’s looking forward to defending against Socceroos legend Tim Cahill when they take on Jamshedpur FC in the course of the tournament.”I was an unknown figure back them. Individually it has helped me grow as a player. Seeing a player like Cahill, I’m looking forward to defend against him,” he said. PTI BSBS