Fulham are to increase their bid for Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes to £5m, according to The People.It was claimed last week that Fulham had an offer of £3.5m for the Terriers star rejected.The People also say that QPR are close to signing Fulham’s out-of-contract forward Andy Johnson and that the Whites have clinched the signings of highly-rated Portuguese teenagers Filipie Cristo and Dinei from Setubal.Meanwhile, a number of newspapers report comments made by USA boss Jurgen Klinsmann, who suggests American star Clint Dempsey should leave Craven Cottage.Klinsmann is quoted as saying: “If you play consistently at the highest level then offers will come in. I think everybody is aware of that. His goal is the right goal, – we have often discussed it.“If he has the opportunity to go to a Champions League team, that’s the crème de la crème of club soccer then you have to do that, with all the respect obviously to Fulham, as he often mentions.“But you want to play in the biggest club competition in the world and that’s the European Champions League and hopefully something will happen over the next couple of weeks.“If it doesn’t happen then he has to keep pounding away and knocking at the door.”Follow West London Sport on Twitter Find us on Facebook
FERNDALE >> Chris Griffin experienced the “dream of a lifetime” when he started his horse race announcing career at the 2015 Humboldt County Fair.That “dream” has continued to grow and will make Griffin a familiar voice on this year’s Northern California summer Fair circuit.The 35-year-old Griffin, who was the announcer for the famed basketball touring Harlem Globetrotters for five years prior to switching sports, will return for the 120th Humboldt Fair season that opens Friday, Aug. 19. But …
5 November 2012The South African Revenue Service’s (Sars’) chief legal and policy officer, Kosie Louw, has been elected chairperson of the Global Forum on Transparency and Exchange of Information for Tax Purposes, becoming the first African chair of the forum.Louw will hold the post for a two-year period starting in 2013.“On behalf of the South African government, I would like to congratulate Sars and Kosie Louw on his election as chairperson,” Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said in a statement on Friday.“I am certain that the two years of South Africa’s chairmanship will be beneficial not only to the forum but also to the wider global tax administration community.”Gordhan said the position was important because the forum’s current mandate expires in 2015, and it is during South Africa’s tenure that a decision must be made on the best way forward.“SA’s tenure also coincides with very challenging times for tax administrations globally, especially when it comes to the exchange of information for tax purposes.”Promoting tax cooperation“Optimum transparency and exchange of information are critical for improving tax compliance and increasing the prospects of revenue collection at a time when most countries face fiscal constraints,” Gordhan said.“International cooperation among tax administrations is vital in an era of rapid movement of money and people across borders.”The Global Forum plays a key role in promoting tax cooperation and the exchange of information among revenue authorities.It feeds into the work of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and the Group of 20 on improving transparency on tax matters.The forum is the largest consensus-based organisation working to facilitate the exchange of tax information between jurisdictions, an important step towards an end to secrecy.“South Africa fully supports the work of the forum, whose peer review reports reflect a very good practice in exchange of information,” Gordhan said.Currently, the forum has a membership of 116 and is in a position to have a significant impact on how jurisdictions cooperate, not only in terms of transparency of information, but putting in more effort to ensure that taxes are collected and used in a way that improves the lives of the citizens of those jurisdictions.Forum members must ensure the integrity and sustainability of tax systems around the globe.“Governments have an obligation to create an environment conducive to economic growth and job creation – and to ensure that the benefits that come from that growth are shared broadly,” he said.“If this does not happen, we will be responsible for creating more inequality.”Source: SANews.gov.za
For the first time in its 84-year-old history, the BCCI has added an in-house television production unit and it will make debut with the home Test series against New Zealand next month.BCCI president N Srinivasan.The BCCI Broadcasting Services will not only do the production for international home series, but also the Indian Premier League (IPL) and Champions League T20.”Yes, a decision has been taken and the BCCI will do the production now, starting with the New Zealand series. We decided at a working committee meeting to go ahead with it,” BCCI president N Srinivasan told Mail Today. The two-Test series against New Zealand begins on August 23 in Uppal, Hyderabad. The Kiwis will also play two Twenty20 Internationals in a packed season in which England and Australia – and possibly Pakistan – too will visit India.Till now, the company that held the BCCI media rights also used to do the production work, too, in return for a fee. Nimbus Communications held the previous contract.But after terminating its contract on December 12 last year, for regularly defaulting on payments, the BCCI did not hire anyone to do the production for international matches as well as domestic tournaments.Srinivasan declined to give reasons for breaking the traditional practice. “Instead of tendering it, we decided to do production ourselves. What were the reasons behind this decision, I do not want to disclose,” he said.However, a top BCCI official said that the world’s richest cricket board decided against floating tender as it was confronting “a lot of problems”, and they resulted from extremely limited options in the market.advertisement”It is a fact that the Indian market for this kind of production work is very limited. There are only a handful of companies that have the expertise. And the BCCI has been finding it difficult to deal with them,” the official told Mail Today.When the BCCI terminated Nimbus’ contract, more than two years were left in the 2010-2014 deal. The BCCI then floated tenders, inviting companies to bid for a total of six years – two years left in the Nimbus contract plus a separate four-year (2014-18) block.The Rupert Murdoch-owned STAR India Ltd., which was one of the only two bidders, quoted Rs 3,851.52 crore ($ 757.6 million) to bag the six-year deal that includes the television, mobile and internet rights. It, however, did not hire STAR India Ltd. for production.The BCCI assured STAR India Ltd. of 96 international matches in addition to select domestic tournament matches. Multi Screen Media (Singapore) bid Rs 3,700.032, only to lose by a huge difference of Rs 151.488 crore.In 2005, Lalit Modi, then a Board vice-president, and IS Bindra, president of the Punjab Cricket Association, had announced that the BCCI would launch its own cricket channel. But it never materialised.The BCCI official said that Srinivasan himself raised the issue of inhouse production at a recent working committee meeting.”He told the gathering that only a handful of production houses were available and emphasised that the BCCI was finding it difficult to deal with its production partners,” he disclosed. “Srinivasan invited members’ opinion on the proposal that was on the table. The proposal was prepared by BCCI’s Broadcasting Services director James Rego.” The official revealed that Srinivasan then requested IPL chief operating officer Sundar Raman, who was a special invitee at the working committee meeting, to explain the proposal in detail.”He said that if the BCCI has an in-house production unit, the quality of telecast could be maintained,” he said. “BCCI will also produce IPL and Champions League T20. The house approved the proposal unanimously.” Sources say that the BCCI has no plans to purchase expensive equipment straightaway, but will instead hire cameras and other gadgets for production, to be overseen by Rego, who joined the BCCI in 2009 from Nimbus. A few more old Nimbus hands have also joined the BCCI Broadcast Services.”After the working committee approved the proposal, the top guns of the BCCI Broadcast Services have been calling a variety of professionals to hire them for the New Zealand series and the domestic season that begins on September 21 with the Irani Cup.” In all probability, the same freelance professionals who did duty for Nimbus will turn out for the BCCI too.