Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) BANGOR — The Ellsworth boys’ basketball team has grown to persevere in games like this.For 31 of 32 minutes Friday night, nothing Ellsworth did could seem to shake a pesky Winslow team hungry for a tournament upset. The Eagles made shots, played strong defense and forced turnovers, but every time they appeared on the verge of building a comfortable lead, the Black Raiders clawed their way back into the game.“They really fought us,” Ellsworth’s Jackson Curtis said. “They really made us work for everything, and you have to give them credit because they’re a great team.”Fortunately for the Eagles, so are they — and when push came to shove in this hard-fought tournament showdown, Ellsworth’s poise and leadership in the clutch made all the difference.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textEllsworth withstood a multitude of Winslow runs Friday to earn a 58-51 victory in the Class B North quarterfinals at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor. The win saw the Eagles outscore the Black Raiders 16-6 down the stretch to earn their second straight trip to the regional semifinals.“Over the past few years, especially with the turnaround last year, we’ve gotten some great experience that’s helped push us through to win these games,” senior Darby Barry said. “That experience really matters here, and tonight, it carried us to a big win.”Although Curtis scored the game’s first five points to put the No. 2 Eagles (16-3) up 5-0, Winslow responded with a layup and triple of its own to tie the game. Curtis then added five more points to put Ellsworth up 12-7, but the Black Raiders scored the final basket of the first period and the first three of the second to take a three-point lead.Yet Ellsworth regained the lead midway through the second quarter as Austin Harris sparked a 7-0 run to put the Eagles up two possessions. Seventh-ranked Winslow (12-8) scored the next four points to tie the game at 19, but Ellsworth answered with five of the next seven to take a three-point lead into the break.After Winslow scored the opening basket of the second half, Barry drained two 3-pointers to key an 8-1 Ellsworth run that put the Eagles up 32-24. The Black Raiders responded once again, though, this time with a 21-10 spurt that put them ahead 45-42 early in the fourth quarter.Ellsworth scored the next seven points to take a four-point lead before Winslow bookended a Hunter Curtis free throw with two quick baskets to pull back within one. Yet Jackson Curtis then converted a layup and went 5 of 6 from the free-throw line to ice the game and book the Eagles’ spot in the Class B North semifinals.“One of the things you train for is to be able to come through for your team in those big moments down the stretch,” Curtis said. “You want to be that guy that has the confidence to take the shots, and I’ve been in that situation before and know what it’s like.”Jackson Curtis had 26 points for Ellsworth, and Barry joined him in double figures with 12. The Eagles also got nine points from Hunter Curtis, seven from Harris and two apiece from Connor Crawford and Adam Inman. Colby Pomeroy had 17 points for Winslow.Ellsworth faced a tough challenge in containing the 6-foot-4 Pomeroy, who finished two points shy of 1,000 for his career, as well as the 6-3 Jason Reynolds, a top rebounder. The Eagles didn’t completely neutralize Winslow’s potent bigs, but Peter Austin’s team did prevent them from combining for the type of effort they put forth three days earlier against Orono (36 combined points).“We didn’t play quite as well as I would have liked on the offensive side, but defensive-wise, we did a good job of challenging their shots,” Austin said. “We knew that Pomeroy was a good player coming in, and we did what we could to stop him.”Ellsworth will be back at the Cross Insurance Center on Wednesday, Feb. 19, when it takes on No. 3 Washington Academy (14-5) at 7 p.m. Washington Academy, which defeated sixth-ranked Maine Central Institute (13-7) 56-45 earlier Friday night, earned a 45-43 road win over the Eagles to open the season before Ellsworth got revenge Jan. 8 with a 62-42 victory in East Machias.If Ellsworth can topple Washington Academy in the rubber match Wednesday, it would advance to the Northern Maine title game for the second time in the past five years. Doing so will require the Eagles to contain the Raiders’ 6-5 big man, Cecil Gray, and overcome possible double- and triple-teams against Jackson Curtis.“If that’s what happens, our kids are going to have to hit shots for us to win,” Austin said. “That’s what it’s about this time of year, and I think we’ll be a little bit looser next time.” Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Bio Latest Posts Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020
By Mark BendeichMONZA, Italy,(Reuters)-Eliud Kipchoge ran the quickest recorded marathon on Saturday, crossing the line at the Monza Formula One track in two hours and 25 seconds but missing out on an ambitious attempt to break the two-hour barrier.The 32-year-old’s time smashed the official mark of 2:02:57 set by fellow Kenyan Dennis Kimetto in Berlin in 2014 but will not enter the record books largely due to a non-compliant system of pacemaking.“The is not the end of the attempt of runners on two hours,” the Olympic champion said after the race, likening the challenge to climbing a tree. “When you step on the branches… immediately you go to the next one.”Kipchoge rated it as the finest performance in a career that includes a gold medal at the Rio Games last year and a personal best official time of 2:03:05, the third-fastest in history.“This journey has been good, it has been hard, it has been seven months hard preparation. It has been history in the world of sport,” he added.Kipchoge and the only other competitors, Eritrean Zersenay Tadese and Ethiopian Lelisa Desisa, ran behind an arrow-head formation of pacemakers, to reduce drag, and a car beaming a green line on the road behind it to show the required speed for the sub-two hour target.Amid deep scepticism, Nike (NKE.N) pitched the attempt as sport’s “moon shot”, with a keen eye on sales of its running shoes. It designed a lightweight shoe, Zoom Vaporfly Elite, with a carbon-fibre insole as part of the meticulous preparations.Nike’s arch rival, German firm Adidas (ADSGn.DE), also has its own ‘Sub2’ project, also with a new shoe.30 PACEMAKERSIn 2014, “Runners World” magazine predicted a sub-two under normal race conditions would not happen until 2075, based on analysis of more than 10,000 top marathon performances.The race began in pre-dawn gloom at a brutal speed behind pacemakers, who were world class runners in their own right, including former world champion middle distance runner Bernard Lagat of the United States.A total of 30 pacemakers split into groups of six, taking turns to set a tempo in a race run 63 years to the day after Briton Roger Bannister became the first man to run a mile in less than four minutes.The Monza track was chosen for its wide, sweeping curves, lack of undulation and cool, low-wind environment. The runners were also delivered essential fluids on the move by moped in order to prevent them slowing down at feeding stations.The sub-two hour mark required a pace below four minutes and 35 seconds per mile, which the determined Kipchoge managed to match until falling behind the pace car in the last two laps of the 2.4 km circuit.Kipchoge completed the first half of the race in 59:57, just one and a half minutes off the official half-marathon world record set by Saturday’s second-place finisher, Tadese.The 35-year-old Eritrean, the oldest competitor on Saturday, finished in 2:06:51, followed by the youngest, 26-year-old Desisa, in 2:14:10.
World soccer governing body, Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA) has fingered the Ghana Football Association (GFA) over the tortoise pace of the nationality switch of Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong.FIFA told GNA Sports in a correspondence that the process has been held up due to the unavailability of documentation from the GFA required to decide the status of the 20-year old Ghanaian-born midfielder.The revelation by the world soccer governing body absorbs it of any form of blame; leaving the matter at the doorsteps of the GFA to answer for the delay in the process which has lasted almost 12 months.In a response copied to GNA Sports, FIFA catalogued the progressions reached on the issue, which has become a subject of discussion in local football circles. Frimpong is eligible to play for Ghana despite representing England at the youth level.“On 13 December, 2011, FIFA received a formal request dated 21 November, 2011 from the Ghana Football Association (GFA) for the change of association of the player Emmanuel Frimpong. FIFA thereupon requested the GFA the standard documentation needed to process such a request.“To date the GFA has not yet provided FIFA with a complete and updated file reflecting the current situation of the player, although FIFA has always immediately answered to all correspondence of the GFA and informed the latter of the necessary documents still needed,” FIFA said. The global soccer sanctioning body requested the GFA to seek clearance from the British Football Associations including England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, on whether the Frimpong has ever represented either at senior level.This was corroborated by Ibrahim Sannie Daara, Communications Director of GFA, who told GNA Sports three of the Federations, responded accordingly but Northern Ireland.According to FIFA, it communicated to the GFA last week it’s preparedness to rule on the matter once the requested documents are intact.“Moreover, on November 1, 2012; FIFA confirmed the GFA that once in possession of the respective documents, it would immediately proceed to submit the matter to the deciding body,” FIFA stated.However, the good news is that the Irish communicated their response recently to complete the documentation requested by FIFA. “We have received the response from the Irish Football Association. Now we have all the documents requested by FIFA and we have sent it to them accordingly,” said the GFA Communication Director.With this, it is expected the documents will be forwarded to the FIFA Players’ Status Committee headed by Dr. Theo Zwanziger, former President of the German Football Federation (DFB) to rule on the matter.Frimpong who played for the England U-16 and U-17 between 2007 and 2009 pledged his future with the Black Stars on September 6, 2011 after a meeting GFA President Kwesi Nyantakyi in London.
The traditional Churchill 5K as part of the Churchill Festival has always been a huge crowd-puller.Tonight promises to be no different registration from 5.30pm at McClaffertys Pub in the centre of the village.There is a bit of a difference with this year’s course with organisers promising a faster course (no pressure with your times folks!) The race starts in Churchill and finishes at Glendowan Church.This will be the very last engagement that Patsy McGonagle will do before he heads to London Olympics.LARGE CROWDS EXPECTED FOR TONIGHT’S CHURCHILL 5K was last modified: July 20th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Churchill 5k