Spain’s Canary Islands see new influx of African migrants- Advertisement – – Advertisement –
Archives: 上海 花千坊
The maker of Botox, Allergan Inc. of Irvine, Calif., said Nov 29 that authorities had not been able to confirm that Botox had been administered to the four patients. The company said it was cooperating with federal and state health officials to investigate the cases. Dec 1, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Four people in Florida and New Jersey who might have been injected with the anti-wrinkle medication Botox are seriously ill with possible botulism, according to news services. Allergan also said only two vials of Botox were shipped to Advanced Integrated Medical Center this year and only one was shipped in the past 6 months. The company reported it had reviewed all manufacturing and quality-assurance processes related to the vials and found no problems. Also, the firm said it had received no reports of adverse events related to the manufacturing lots from which the vials came. The two patients in New Jersey were still connected to ventilators but were conscious and communicating through gestures, the newspaper, citing relatives of the patients, reported today. The stories identified the patients as Bach McComb and Alma “AJ” Hall, both employees at Advanced Integrated Medical Systems. They were hospitalized at Bayonne (N.J.) Medical Center. The newspaper described McComb as a physician whose license was suspended by Florida health officials in 2003 after he was charged with trafficking in addictive pain medications. See also: The South Florida Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale said all four patients were on mechanical ventilators. Today the newspaper reported that the two patients in Florida, whom it identified as Eric S. Kaplan and his wife, Bonnie, were in serious but stable condition. Authorities have not confirmed that any of the patients had botulism. A Nov 30 report in the Sun-Sentinel said doctors at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center were treating the two cases there as botulism. The Florida Department of Health (FDH) said it was expecting laboratory tests to clarify the diagnoses later this week, according to the story. Calls to the FDH for more information were not returned in time for this story. The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services issued a short statement Nov 29 saying that botulinum toxin poisoning had not been confirmed in the two patients. The statement said Florida health officials were taking the lead in investigating the cases and that New Jersey was cooperating with Florida and the CDC. The Associated Press (AP) reported that a man and woman in their 50s were in critical condition at Palm Beach Gardens (Florida) Medical Center on Nov 28. Dr. Charles Schallop, a neurologist who treated the couple, said they had gone to a Fort Lauderdale clinic called Advanced Integrated Medical Center Nov 24 for Botox injections, according to the AP report. Nov 30 Allergan news releasehttp://agn.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=149490 Two other people were being treated at a hospital in New Jersey for possible botulism, the AP report said. Schallop said the Florida couple reported that the New Jersey patients were at the Florida clinic the same day they were there. Schallop said he suspected all four patients might have fallen ill because of contaminated doses of Botox or some other drug. Botox contains minute amounts of botulinum toxin, which causes muscle paralysis and is the most lethal known substance. The toxin, derived from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, is one of the six biological agents considered most likely to be used by terrorists. Botulism is usually associated with contaminated food, particularly improperly home-canned food. Botox is used to smooth facial wrinkles and to treat certain muscle disorders. The Sun-Sentinel reported that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was investigating exactly what the four patients were injected with and who administered the injections. The newspaper quoted investigators as saying they were considering the possibility that patients were injected with foreign-made imitations of Botox and Myoblock, another anti-wrinkle drug that contains botulinum toxin. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was helping with the FDH investigation by conducting lab tests, CDC spokeswoman Christine Pearson told CIDRAP News yesterday. CIDRAP overview of botulism
World soccer governing body, Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA) has fingered the Ghana Football Association (GFA) over the tortoise pace of the nationality switch of Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong.FIFA told GNA Sports in a correspondence that the process has been held up due to the unavailability of documentation from the GFA required to decide the status of the 20-year old Ghanaian-born midfielder.The revelation by the world soccer governing body absorbs it of any form of blame; leaving the matter at the doorsteps of the GFA to answer for the delay in the process which has lasted almost 12 months.In a response copied to GNA Sports, FIFA catalogued the progressions reached on the issue, which has become a subject of discussion in local football circles. Frimpong is eligible to play for Ghana despite representing England at the youth level.“On 13 December, 2011, FIFA received a formal request dated 21 November, 2011 from the Ghana Football Association (GFA) for the change of association of the player Emmanuel Frimpong. FIFA thereupon requested the GFA the standard documentation needed to process such a request.“To date the GFA has not yet provided FIFA with a complete and updated file reflecting the current situation of the player, although FIFA has always immediately answered to all correspondence of the GFA and informed the latter of the necessary documents still needed,” FIFA said. The global soccer sanctioning body requested the GFA to seek clearance from the British Football Associations including England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, on whether the Frimpong has ever represented either at senior level.This was corroborated by Ibrahim Sannie Daara, Communications Director of GFA, who told GNA Sports three of the Federations, responded accordingly but Northern Ireland.According to FIFA, it communicated to the GFA last week it’s preparedness to rule on the matter once the requested documents are intact.“Moreover, on November 1, 2012; FIFA confirmed the GFA that once in possession of the respective documents, it would immediately proceed to submit the matter to the deciding body,” FIFA stated.However, the good news is that the Irish communicated their response recently to complete the documentation requested by FIFA. “We have received the response from the Irish Football Association. Now we have all the documents requested by FIFA and we have sent it to them accordingly,” said the GFA Communication Director.With this, it is expected the documents will be forwarded to the FIFA Players’ Status Committee headed by Dr. Theo Zwanziger, former President of the German Football Federation (DFB) to rule on the matter.Frimpong who played for the England U-16 and U-17 between 2007 and 2009 pledged his future with the Black Stars on September 6, 2011 after a meeting GFA President Kwesi Nyantakyi in London.
England international Craig Hinton (The Oxfordshire, BB&O) posted a closing round of 67 to comfortably win the Welsh Open Stroke Play Championship at Prestatyn. The 23 year old (image © Tom Ward) was the only player to finish under par when he posted a 72-hole total of seven under 281, finishing seven strokes ahead of New Zealander Vaughan McCall and eight clear of Scotland’s Sam Binning. It is the third successive year that an English international has won the title, Hinton following in the footsteps of Eddie Pepperell in 2010 and Darren Wright last year. Hinton found himself two strokes off the lead held by Luke Jackson (Misterton, Nottinghamshire) after the opening round and his second day 75 left him in joint third place, four shots off the pace. However, a third round 70 sent Hinton into the final circuit sharing the lead with Jackson on 214. But while the latter slipped down the field with a closing 78 to finish tied seventh, Hinton raced away with his 67 to claim his first major title. There was little suggestion of such a wide winning margin as he reached the turn in one-under-par 36. But a run of three successive birdies from the 11th plus another at 15 saw him home in 31, easily his best nine of the event. Paul Kinnear (Formby, Lancashire) closed with 74 for 296 for joint tenth place, the same score as England Golf’s new Director of Coaching Nigel Edwards. Leading final scores: 281 C Hinton (The Oxfordshire) 69 75 70 67 288 V McCall (New Zealand) 72 75 70 71 289 S Binning (Ranfurly Castle) 74 74 70 71 290 S Crichton (Aberdour) 70 76 72 72, R Enoch (Truro) 73 72 72 73 28 May 2012 Hinton races away with Welsh title
Forward Sian Nielsen scored a career-high 42 points to spark the L.V. Rogers to a 69-47 victory over J. Lloyd Crowe Hawks in the final of the Kootenay High School AA Girl’s Basketball Championship held recently in Invermere.The Bombers are now two-time Kootenay High School AA Girl’s Basketball Zone champs.Nielsen, one of the many Grade 12 players with the Bombers, scored 15 points in the first quarter, mostly from the power forward position, as the Bombers took control of the contest by building a 28-8 lead.LVR continued dominate the game in the second period, scoring 16 points en route to a 44-21 halftime lead. Allie Zondervan and Naomi Perkins each added nine points for LVR.The victory capped a perfect 18-0 season for the Bombers against Kootenay and Okanagan opposition.LVR also won three tournaments, including the Bomber Classic in January.Despite owning the zone, the Bombers will not be representing the Kootenay at the provincial tournament.Coach Chris Dergousoff said the Bombers do not have the numbers to compete at the provincial level.The Crowe Hawks of Trail will be taking that berth for the Kootenays.The Hawks open the 16-team tournament Wednesday at 10:15 a.m. at the Langley Events Centre against top ranked Duchess Park of Prince George.