Accused of being in possession of human skeleton, an angry mob beat two suspects to death, while a third is being treated at a medical facility in Ganta.1 critically injuredCommercial activities in Ganta City, Nimba County came to a standstill on Wednesday, March 20, 2019, when some angry residents reportedly attacked three people suspected of ritualistic killings, while they were being escorted to Police headquarters for “interrogation.”The citizens’ mob action, according to reports, resulted to the death of two of the suspects, while the other one, who was eyewitnesses, was ‘flogged severely’ is admitted at a health center in the city under intense pressure. The crowd had accused them of being in possession of human skeleton. Police had yet to verify the information when angry crowd reportedly took the law into their own hands.Up to press time last night, police were yet to make any arrest, but Ganta Police Detail Commander, Adolphus Zuah, who confirmed the information, said he has dispatched officers to the crime scene to investigate the matter.“I don’t know what went wrong before the suspects were mobbed to death. I heard the taxi cab they were traveling on broke down, and so the crowd came against them,” Zuah said via mobile phone. “I only heard that a police undercover agent in Saclepea, central Nimba, was escorting three suspects from the district to Sanniquellie, the county political capital, when a commercial vehicle they were riding on broke down, thus giving rise to marauding gangs to mob two of the suspects to death, while the third person was severely wounded.”Commander Zuah said two of the police officers that were among other unarmed officers dispatched to quell the situation sustained wounds from the angry crowd that were reportedly using sticks, stones and any deadly objects to wound and eventually kill two of the suspects.The crowd, according to Zuah had claimed that the accused individuals were suspected of carrying on ‘heartmen’ activities (ritualistic killings), but the allegation was yet to be substantiated when two of them were mobbed to death.Also, confirming the information, the head of the county police Criminal Investigation Division (CID), James Katoe, said the suspects were reportedly mobbed to death by “some suspected criminals; some of them on police wanted list.”The deceased suspects, Katoe said, were being escorted by police from Saclepea to Sanniquellie, the county political capital, for questioning in connection to the report of ‘heartmen’ activities, when they were attacked in Ganta.“As we speak, I am on my way to Ganta, and will give you detailed information [on Thursday]. Up to now, we don’t even have the case file to establish the identities of the suspects and what are their respective charges,” Detective Katoe informed the Daily Observer via mobile phone.Meanwhile, up to press time last night, Ganta has remained heavily guarded by the presence of a contingent of police officers from a garrison of the Emergency Response Unit (ERU) stationed at the Bong County Security Hub.The ERU officers are being dispatched to maintain calm in the wake of the hostilities in the commercial city of Ganta which, according to one account, had forced some of the business centers to close, while residents were warned to leave the streets.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Carol Rock, (661) 257-5252 firstname.lastname@example.org ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST – A second rain-related landslide near Pyramid Lake, the site of a 126,000-gallon oil spill in March, tested the strength of a replacement pipeline and it passed with flying colors. A landslide occurred last week after a brief storm, but the pipes weren’t damaged, said Cid Morgan, district ranger for Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers District of the Angeles National Forest. “We allowed them to bore down into the bedrock and put in a permanent fix to replace the temporary pipes that were above ground after the slide and we’re glad we did,” Morgan said. “They finished about four weeks ago and the rains from last week caused the whole thing to slide even more. But the pipes held.” In March, a 14-inch pipe carrying light crude oil burst after heavy February rains caused a landslide in Posey Canyon. The pipeline, one of three owned by Pacific Energy Partners, runs along the hills east of Interstate 5. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Mark Reese, director of environmental safety for Pacific Energy Partners, said the original pipe, built in the 1950s, was replaced using a horizontal directional drilling method. “We went 80 to 100 feet below the surface,” Reese said. “We drilled through 1,000 feet of rock and pulled new pipe up through that, so now the pipeline is well below any potential slide area. “Our crews are finishing up the last of the cleanup work from the spill. The oil has been off the (Pyramid Lake) water for some time and the sediment from the canyon that landed in the creekbed was airlifted out in supersacks over the summer.” Crews are grading and replanting the slide area to restore the area around the pipeline. Reese said that his company will continue to monitor the area for any unusual activity. U.S. Forest Service officials said the area will remain closed until stabilization is completed.
KUSI Newsroom County initiatives to prevent fires in back country communities KUSI Newsroom, Posted: June 4, 2019 June 4, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego County supervisors today took action to better respond to wildfire risks by beefing up staff and increasing a contract with Cal Fire.On a 4-0 vote, the board approved a proposal to add five people to the Fire Authority’s Community Risk Reduction Division; assist up to 20,000 homeowners with defensible space fire protection; require vents in new construction for better flame and ember resistance; execute a pre-fire plan for high-risk neighborhoods; and improve vegetation management and emergency planning.The upgraded wildfire plan will result in a network of fire breaks around Crest, Guatay, Palomar Mountain and other backcountry communities, according to board Chairwoman Dianne Jacob’s office.The county and Cal Fire will work together on carrying out the proposals, Jacob’s office said.“We’re improving our fire prevention ground game and launching several initiatives to better safeguard communities that sit in the crosshairs of a potential disaster,” Jacob said after the meeting.Jacob, along with Supervisor Jim Desmond, requested the wildfire policy improvements.Fire safety improvements will cost $1,570,119 in fiscal year 2019-2020, according to county documents. That amount includes $1,210,363 to pay for the additional employees and contract staff, and $359,756 in one-time costs for contracted inspection services. Ron Lane, deputy chief administration officer, said the county will monitor progress and complete programs by either the summer of 2020 or 2021.Jacob said there are nearly 60,000 homes in San Diego County at high risk in a wildfire, and added she hoped the county would consider fire insurance for future home construction.Desmond said that more than 600,000 residents live in unincorporated areas, and “as we enter the 2019 wildfire season, this will allow the county help residents better prepare.” Cal Fire Chief Tony Mecham told the board that five additional staff positions will provide more insight and code enforcement. He added that his agency’s strategy is educating the community, engineering and enforcement. Cal Fire will increase home inspections and work toward distributing metal boxes that will let homeowners keep keys in a safe place in case of a wildfire, Mecham said. Cal Fire will also take steps to protect evacuation corridors, maintain 40 miles of fire roads and truck trails, update community evacuation plans and increase prescribed burns, according to Mecham. He added that Cal Fire wants increased GIS capabilities and new software, a regional public safety database and enhanced mutual aid radio infrastructure.Along with his fellow supervisors, Nathan Fletcher praised the wildfire plan and praised Cal Fire for its efforts.Fletcher added that the board should be mindful as it considers future housing in high-risk areas.Supervisor Greg Cox was absent from today’s meeting.
Preview • TiVo Bolt OTA DVR records free antenna TV, costs $250 (hands-on) Mentioned Above TiVo Bolt OTA The Cheapskate $219 See It 61 Tags See it TiVo Bolt OTA Media Streamers Smart Plugs and Switches Smart Speakers & Displays 2:03 Now playing: Watch this: Best Buy CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Share your voice Review • TiVo Bolt OTA review: A quick, slick cord-cutter solution, at a price Amazon Best Buy Google TiVo How to cut the cord for $10: installing an indoor antenna Comments Best laptops for college students: We’ve got an affordable laptop for every student. Best live TV streaming services: Ditch your cable company but keep the live channels and DVR. $219 The Tablo over-the-air DVR can stream live and recorded shows to your TV and mobile devices — even away from home. Tablo The problem: You’re more than ready to ditch that pricey cable subscription, but you still want to be able to watch (and record) local channels. An antenna connected to your TV can deliver the “watch” part, but recording will require a little extra gear.Something like the TiVo Bolt OTA, right? (OTA stands for over-the-air, meaning broadcast TV.) Yep, but that box will run you $250, plus $7 per month, $70 annually or $250 for a lifetime guide subscription. That’s $500 all-in, if you go for the lifetime option. Meanwhile, Amazon’s Fire TV Recast is largely fee-free and has built-in storage — but it starts at $230 (frequent sales notwithstanding).Read more: The best live TV streaming services Another, cheaper, option: For a limited time, Amazon has the Tablo Dual Lite OTA DVR for $99.99 shipped (plus tax). It normally sells for $139.99. (If that price disappears or you’d rather shop elsewhere, Best Buy has it for the same price.)See it at AmazonThe Tablo is a little different than your typical DVR. For starters, it plugs into your router, not into your TV. That’s so it can stream live shows and recordings to just about anywhere: phone, tablet, PC, game consoles and, of course, streaming devices like Fire TVs and Rokus.It also requires both an antenna and a USB hard drive. The latter is easy — you can use any drive you already own or pick up something like this WD 2TB external drive for $71. To be fair, the aforementioned Bolt comes with 1TB of storage built in.As for the antenna, something like this $27.95 amplified internal job might do the trick — but the challenge could be positioning. If your router lives near a window, great — the antenna may have an easy time pulling in channels. If it’s more centrally located, now you may have to do some wiring to accommodate the antenna. (This is true of just about any OTA setup, really.) Read more: Best antennas for TV cord cuttersEven if you already have a hard drive and antenna on hand, there’s an additional cost to consider: Like TiVo, Tablo charges extra for its TV-guide data, which really is essential for a good DVR experience. Your first 30 days are free; after that it’ll run you $5 per month, $50 annually or $150 for life.What I find particularly cool about the Tablo is that it can stream live and recorded TV outside your home — great if you want to watch, say, a Sunday football game while traveling. Of course, the similar Sling Air TV streamer (with add-on DVR option) is fee-free, and it’s currently selling for $80. And now that many live-TV streaming services (Sling, YouTube TV and so on) also offer DVR options, you may find all this to be unnecessarily complicated.Your thoughts? Bonus deal: Google Home Hub + Google Home Mini + TP-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug for $74All this for $74?! Sold! Tink Holy smart-home bundles, Batman! I thought the Google Home Hub for $70 was a killer deal. But check this: For what’s sure to be a very limited time, Tink has the Google Home Hub, Google Home Mini and TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug HS105 for $74 shipped when you apply promo code TINKMAY1 at checkout.See it at TinkNeedless to say, that’s an insanely good deal, though the wording of the code makes me think it’s soon to end. But I was able to get as far as checkout with a final $74 price, and here’s the proof:Enlarge Image Screenshot by Rick Broida/CNET Grab this while you can, cheeps, because either a sellout or termination is imminent.Originally published on Oct. 22, 2018.Update, May 2, 2019: Availability and bonus-deal changes.CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of the products featured on this page. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter!
At least 50 people of Singarol village in Pirganj upazila have been hospitalised since Tuesday evening after they fell sick due to suspected food poisoning.Pirganj upazila administration has formed a five-member probe body to investigate into the matter.On information, Upazila Nirbahi Officer AWM Raihan Shah visited the ailing people at Pirganj Health Complex and enquired about their treatment.Relatives of patients said hours after having meals at a marriage ceremony of Jahidul, son of Aminul Haque, they started falling ill with vomiting, lose motion, headache, fever since Tuesday morning.As their condition was deteriorating, they were brought to upazila health complex in the evening.Of them, 35 people got admitted to the hospital and 20 others were released after given first aid.Shamim, Wridi, who underwent treatment at the hospital, said they were feeling abdominal pain since early Tuesday. Later, they were admitted to the hospital as they were not getting well despite taking primary medicines from nearby pharmacy.Physician of the hospital Jubayer said food poisoning was a possible cause of their illness. But there’s nothing to be panicked.
Kolkata: In a unique gesture, West Bengal State Electricity Employees Co-operative Credit Society Limited (WBSEECCSL) has stood by the side of orphans and blind children on the occasion of Durga Puja this year.WBSEECCSL has distributed new garments among blind children and orphans belonging to two different orgnaisations, while as many as ten other organisations and NGO’s have been given financial assistance of Rs 5,000 each.The programme was organised by WBSEECCSL at Vidyut Bhawan. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThis is for the first time the organisation has come up with the idea of supporting various organisations so that they can help the destitute children, particularly during the biggest festival of Bengal.Pradip Nath, Chairman, WBSEECCSL, whose initiative made the event possible, said from now this initiative would be taken up every year so that destitute children can wear new dresses during Durga Puja.It may be mentioned that the initiative also impressed West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL) Chairman and MD Rajesh Pandey who has taken interest in the programme. After seeing the programme, Pandey assured that WBSEDCL would conduct a similar programme in January next year. It also took some children from an orphanage to various Puja pandals inthe city.
The theory is based on a evolutionary model in which the development of high levels of intelligence may be driven by the demands of raising offspring. “Human infants are born far more immature than the infants of other species. For example, giraffe calves are able to stand up, walk around, and even flee from predators within hours of their births. By comparison, human infants cannot even support their own heads,” said one of the researchers Celeste Kidd, assistant professor at University of Rochester in New York. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’“Our theory is that there is a kind of self-reinforcing cycle where big brains lead to very premature offspring and premature offspring lead to parents having to have big brains,” noted Steven Piantadosi, who is also from University of Rochester.“What our formal modeling work shows is that those dynamics can result in runaway pressure for extremely intelligent parents and extremely premature offspring,” Piantadosi said.In other words, because humans have relatively big brains, their infants must be born early in development while their heads are still small enough to ensure a safe delivery. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixEarly birth, though, means that human infants are helpless for much longer than other primates, and such vulnerable infants require intelligent parents. As a result, selective pressures for large brains and early birth can become self-reinforcing — potentially creating species like humans with qualitatively different cognitive abilities than other animals.Their study appeared online in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences’ Early Edition. The researchers tested a positive prediction of the model that the immaturity of newborns should be strongly related to general intelligence.“What we found is that weaning time — which acts as a measure of the prematurity of the infants — was a much better predictor of primate’s intelligence than any of other measures we looked at, including brain size, which is commonly correlated with intelligence,” Piantadosi said.